Founded in the 6th century by St. Kevin
After the Anglo Norman invasion, ecclesiastical authority moved to Dublin, in 1214 and the Diocese of Glendalough became part of Dublin.
The destruction of Glendalough by English forces in 1398 left it a ruin but it continued as a local church and a place of pilgrimage.
The surviving ruins date from the 10th and 12th centuries.
The Gateway was originally two-storied with two fine, granite arches.
The cross-inscribed stone denoted sanctuary, the boundary of the area of refuge.
The Round Tower
Built of mica-slate interspersed with granite is 100 ft (30 metres) high.
The conical roof was rebuilt in 1876 using the original stones.
The tower originally had six timber floors, connected by ladders.
The four storeys above entrance level are each lit by a small window, while the top storey has four windows facing the cardinal compass points.
The large mica-slate stones which can be seen up to the height of the square-headed west doorway were re-used from an earlier smaller church..
The chancel and sacristy date from the late 12th century.
St. Kevin's Cross - an early cross of local granite, with an unpierced ring.
St. Kevin's Church or "Kitchen"
The steep roof, formed of overlapping stones, is supported internally by a semi-circular vault.
Access to the croft or roof chamber was through a rectangular opening towards the western end of the vault.
The church also had a timber first floor.
The belfry with its conical cap and four small windows rises from the west end of the stone roof in the form of a miniature round tower.
Originally a 13th century medieval castle, owned by the Le Power Family from which ‘Powerscourt’ takes its name.
In 1603 Richard Wingfield was granted Powerscourt Castle and its lands as a reward for his military achievements by Queen Elizabeth.
In 1730 the Viscount Powerscourt commissioned the architect Richard Castle to build Powerscourt House, a 68 room mansion which was completed in 1741.
The mansion was designed around the medieval castle in the style of Palladian architecture which is based on the formal classical temple architecture of the Ancient Greeks and Romans.
In November 1974 a fire badly damaged Powerscourt House.
Phone 087 8354805
International +353 87 8354805